Sunday, November 06, 2005

The Adventurer in Me.

I just bought a new bottle of cologne. About every six months or so I have to make this same old purchase. And for the last ten years or so, I’ve always bought the same thing. It is a cologne called Adventurer, made by Eddie Bauer.
I have a theory about cologne.
I think that after you have worn the same cologne for an extended period of time, as I have done with Adventurer, it sort of gets into you. Like, you absorbify it, a bit. You extrude it. Your skin just sort of always smells like it, and when you try and switch, or you occasionally spritz on some diplay item at random as you walk past the fragrance section of a department store.... hmm... it just seems wrong.
At least to me, it just seems wrong. It feels like my whole body, at some deep pheromonious level, is rejecting the new intruder. The sheer surprise, the sudden clash of scents, is tripping some inner olfactometer, and you don’t want to do that!
Once in a blue moon I may stumble across some fragrance that seems like it has the potential to become something I might hose myself down with... but ultimately, no. I’m sticking with the Adventurer, which, when you think of it, is sort of contradictory huh? Like, I mean, I am not being very adventurous, in my constant return to Adventurer.
But seriously. By now, I feel as though if you took my appendix out and smelled the thing, it would have hints of Adventurer to it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.... you might have a point there. I'm a one-hit wonder with what smell I wear, too.

They'll have to pry my Body Shop 'White Musk' from my cold dead hands! (which will, by the way, smell very nicely of White Musk. Until maybe the rigor mortis sets in...)

Cipriano said...

You've given me an idea.
Here's what I want on my tombstone:

Here lies an Adventurer, in smell
alone. We hope he's not in hell!
He never stank one day in seven,
nor now, one day in heaven!

Jen said...

Since they are no longer making this fragrance what have you found that is similar? My boyfriend wears this one too and has just a sliver left in the bottom of his bottle. I'd like to make it an easy transition for him if possible haha

Cipriano said...

Actually Jen, I found out that Adventurer is still being produced and sold, but under the name Adventurer II.