Friday, November 04, 2005

Friday's Few Finds.

Well, after work I went to the Rockcliffe Park Book Fair.
It is an annual event (mostly used books) and I’ve been at every one for about the past ten years. Sometimes I even take the day off work to browse books for eight hours and fill the trunk of my car with treasures.
However, this year two things conspired to make me spend a lot less, and walk away with just a very modest amount of books.

Firstly, I could not have the day off work, so I missed the 10 a.m. mad rush to the book shelves when the doors first opened up. Seriously, people stampede in there like a herd of cattle, it’s quite dangerous. But today, by the time I arrived at 5:30 p.m., well, the best stuff would have long since been in someone else’s car trunk, and driven far from my greedy grasp!
Secondly, the second reason I did not buy as much, is because I am aware that I must budget myself, after my horrendous automotive repair bill of two days ago.
So, here is what I nabbed today, at horrendously discounted prices.

Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human by Harold Bloom. Perfect shape hardcover version.
Speak, Memory by Vladimir Nabokov, an autobiography I have been interested in ever since recently reading Lolita.
A nice hardcover illustrated edition of Arthur Miller’s Death of a Salesman.
Life Before Man
, a novel by Margaret Atwood.
And Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew. I have always wanted to read it.

An evening of much literary and fiscal restraint.

No comments: