Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Is that on film?

I am sitting at Starbucks, drinking about my ninth gallon of cafe americano!
Now, what is on my mind today is I am wondering if you have ever had something real hilarious happen to you (something way out-of-the-ordinary-ish) that you wish was somehow captured on videotape, but dang it all.... it wasn’t!
I’m sure we all have.
In fact, I bet that all of us have had things happen, i.e., you have wiped out somewhere or bounced yourself off a trampoline or whatever, and there was no camera to capture your hilarious and unique near-death experience.

I bet we all have at least SEEN things that would have won the Grand Prize at America’s Funniest Home Videos if we had just had a camera rolling.
For me, it is a simple thing that I did once, but bizarre. I wish it had been captured.
I would at least maybe have won some money from Bob Saget to pay for my car repair bill today (It came to $2,600.00, and I am still in disbelief).


It was like this.....
I was working on a road crew and we were tearing out a section of highway, preparing to redo the base, and then repave. At one point, after an onsite coffee break, I was walking back to my gear at the side of the road. There was my yellow hard hat laying there, like a bowl, the open part upward. In one fluid motion I stepped on the near side of it, flicked it over onto my boot, and kicked upwards as hard as I could. It sailed into the air, I’d say about 15 or 20 feet high, end over end over end, tumbling in space. As it descended I could see that it was coming straight for me, so I just scrunched my neck into my shoulders and..... “PLOP”.... it landed absolutely perfectly on my head.
The front lip of the hat was exactly where it should be, in front.
Only one guy saw it happen, and he was running the big machine that was tearing out the road. The glass window was removed from his cab at the time and he laughed so hard he nearly fell right out into the bucket.
You could say he almost scooped himself laughing!
Where are the cameras when you need ‘em?
You could TRY to do such a thing three million times, and never succeed, but when you are not trying to do it, it happens.
Surely I would have won some good loot with such footage!

Feel free to use the comments section to send me an account of your own filmed or unfilmed stories of harrowing exploits.


*******

No comments: