Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Way We Were...

Do you ever just sit around and flip through old photo-albums of past girlfriends?
I do.
That’s what I am doing right now, sitting at this Starbucks, after work. On the way out the door this morning I took this one photo album I have. It’s the best one. At a whim, I just threw it in my backpack.
So I am now here, sipping good coffee, and walking through the corridors of time.


I sure have gone out with some fine fine girls. Sometimes, for more than a month, even.
There’s ______ [name witheld]. We really had great times, I’m telling you. But it all ended due to irreconcilable differences. I wanted to read books all the time. She wanted to do all kinds of other stuff.
Then here’s one of ______ [name witheld]. The first thing we ever did together was have a snowball fight, after being introduced to each other by mutual friends earlier in the evening. I pelted her with a few beauties, but then man, she nearly killed me with a direct hit, right on the shnozz. I fell for her smile, and her incredible aim. I love a girl with good aim.
All of these pictures really take me back.
But then I turned the page.... and oh my!
There she was.
That’s her picture, right there at the top of this blog.

So she’s got a bit of a nose, yes... [you learn to work around it] but seriously now, I’m revealing to you here the love of my life and I will not take kindly to any untoward remarks about her rather unique....... appearance!
As soon as I saw this picture again, it was like I heard the opening strains of that ancient Streisand song.... you know the one.... “Memories. Like the corners of my mind. Misty water-colored memories......”

I look away, but the music does not stop.

“Scattered pictures, of the smiles we left behind........”
Admittedly, it was a very brief affair. But all the same, I am left here this evening, filled with thoughts of the way we were.....


************************************

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, looks aren't everything you know...and actually, she's quite beautiful in an exotic sort of way. Plus, she has great fashion sense in the unique way she's applied her makeup. I'm sure her home country probably produced some killer coffee beans as well. I'm sorry, if you're sorry, that it didn't last, but revel in those fond memories. Who knows, she could be thinking of you this very night as well!

Anonymous said...

And I suppose if you ever were to write a book about all your past feathered girlfriends, it would be entitled:
'Bird by bird'.

Cipriano said...

Yes, Cleo. The fashion-smart long-nosed hottie in the little black dress won me over! Maybe she is thinking of me tonight. Maybe she is telling her girlfriends about me right now, saying... "Oh, and he had the cutest little wee.... NOSE you ever did see!"
And Patricia, as for my book, it is already in production, and entitled:
One is OK, But Toucan Have More Fun!