Friday, December 16, 2005

SNOW du Jour: Friday

Well, first off.... here is what was supposed to happen this morning.
I was supposed to calmly wake up, make some coffee and post the following Splash du Jour:

Sydney Smith has been so good to us this week, that today I am going to afford him a double whammy, a Dual Splash, as it were....

There is one piece of advice, in a life of study, which I think no one will object to; and that is, every now and then to be completely idle - to do nothing at all.
-- Sydney Smith (1771 – 1845) –

He had occasional flashes of silence, that made his conversation perfectly delightful.
-- Sydney Smith, referring to Macaulay

Have a great Friday!

_____________________________________

But.... BUT... instead of such serenity.... I SLEPT IN!
Yep!
I was MINUTES from missing my flight altogether.
Completely slept through not one, but TWO alarms. When I finally did wake up, I stared at the clock and it said 5:15.
I am supposed to BE at the airport by that time. Already checked-in, like!
The airport is on the other side of town.
Luckily, I got the World's Craziest Taxi-Driver.
When he arrived, I swore at him and he said "No worries. I have new snow tires. You watch me."
We then proceeded to run every red light between my apartment and the airport. I was helping, looking out the frosted passenger window and saying "Clear here" as he gunned the car through red after red after red.
I made it. But just barely. And by barely, I mean I forgot to wear pants!
So I am now officially on holidays!

We can go to the moon.
We can make artificial hearts.
But for the love of snow tires, can we not invent an alarm clock that not only rings, but actually hits you in the head with a hammer?

**********

No comments: