Friday, December 09, 2005

Splash du Jour: Friday

Since tomorrow is a Saturday, it will be a Splash du Jourless day!
But I would be remiss in neglecting to draw your attention to the birthday of one of the greatest poets of all time.
Emily Dickinson, born on Dec.10th, 1830 in Amherst Mass., turns a cool 175 years young tomorrow. She once said, “If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry.”
Here is one of hers.
It is a fine example of her terse, economic, get-to-the-pointness...

Heaven is what I cannot reach!
The apple in the tree,
Provided it do hopeless hang,
That “heaven” is to me.

The color on the cruising cloud,
The interdicted ground
Behind the hill, the house behind, --
There Paradise is found!

-- Emily Dickinson (1830 – 1886)

Have a great Friday!

No comments: