Monday, December 12, 2005

WALLS: Part 3

The tour continues...
Today will be the final installment of the thrilling series entitled WALLS.
Henceforward, to be immortalized in history as... The WALLS Trilogy©
It amounts to a rare (extremely rare) glimpse at some of the paintings that adorn the bookpuddle lair.
These two that I will reveal today, stand sentinel above The Sacred Desk of Writing.
I am able to look up to them for inspiration, whenever I am at the computer.

The first one shown here, is of the Starbucks siren, and it says Passion makes perfect.
Some people may ask... umm... what exactly is a siren?
Well, here is a good example of one, below: See, it’s sort of like a mermaid, but different.
Whereas a mermaid is simply a rather docile mythical sea creature with a woman’s head and trunk and fishlike tail, a siren goes the extra mile and lures sailors to destruction with her seductive singing! She is a mermaid that is dangerously alluring or seductive. A fishy little temptress. Note that her tail is (ahem!)... split in two, sortalike!
Also, sirens have the added feature of wings.

It is interesting that the original Starbucks logo had to undergo revision because some customers felt that the suggestive split tail of the inaugural topless siren was too lurid. Too sexually suggestive.
So, the image was cropped and enlarged so that the splitness would no longer show.
Plus, she underwent a serious breast-reduction.
Nowadays, what was originally a tail, sort of looks like a mass of Debra Messing’s hair curling back in on itself.
Here is the progression (or regression) that took place, shown below. The last image is the current one, circa 2005.



And now, for my last Starbucks picture. Pretty self-explanatory.

The two pictures somewhat face each other. In the corner of the wall, they are adjacent to each other.... it is hard to explain.
You will have to actually visit the lair, in order to get the full effect.
So come over.
We will sit and have coffee and conversation.
About books.
Passionately.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, well well... I didn't know that about the Starbucks lady. It's true, I suppose... one could make assumptions about that ... ahem... split tail and heaving bosom. Would love to know the stats back then.. were there perhapsMORE male customers 10 years ago, as opposed to now? Just a thought.

Your last poster there is a dream. I want it!!!

You know what I look at as I type in our computer room? To my direct left I see...

1. A poster of some astronaut floating around some damn space unit, and below him (because I KNOW damn well it's a HIM) is the big blue earth, and at the bottome of the photo are the words: The Dream Is Alive. It is, yes, for MEN, anyway!

2. Below that, a reproduction of the famous illustration by M.C. Escher, of the hand drawing a hand.

3. Below that, an old poster of the Beatles, during their hippie-dippy phase. The Fab Four are standing in front of some door; John has some funny-looking flat black hat and of course he has very long hair, George is smiling thoughtfully (he was always my fave), his legs crossed and eyes looking somewhat down, Paul has the shortest hair of the bunch (what a surprise) and looks like he has a pickle up his bum, and Ringo, well, what the hell did he have to worry about?

And right across from me? A replica of an old advertisement. A big number '9' with Babe Ruth's face in the middle, and the words beneath:
'Babe Ruth: All American Athletic Underwear'.

I think you have the better room!

Cipriano said...

There is so much interesting Starbuckian lore to be told, Patricia.
There would be no end to it.
[I am in Starbucks right now even].
The name itself was borrowed from a character on the ship in Herman Melville's Moby Dick.
So, there is more than swanky mermaids to their sea connections!
I'm thinking of actually moving in here.
Hell, I've got the artwork for it.

Your computer room sounds interesting.
Are you coming over for coffee or tea? Hot chocolate? What?

Anonymous said...

Coffee, of course! The stronger, the better, and in a big colourful mug! (and if it's spiked, well, I won't protest....)

Homemade scones would be nice, too.

I had heard about the Moby Dick connection, but don't know the whole 'Starbucks Story' in its entirety. I bet YOU do, though! Have you been watching that documentary on TVO all about the history of coffee? I've only seen a few episodes. It's quite fascinating. And yes, of course they mention Starbucks. Many times! I'm surprised you're not in the documentary!

Cipriano said...

GOOD ANSWER!
Coffee.
STRONG coffee.
I want my coffee to bench press me!

Yes, I was contacted to be in that coffee documentary, but couldn't make it. I was a bestman at Juan Valdez's wedding on the day of filming.
[Yep. He married his donkey.]