Thursday, April 06, 2006

Figaro! Figaro! Figaro!

Just the other day I noticed something about myself. It is this:
I like all kinds of music. As in, a wide range of styles.
Like, you know when you are with people and certain types of music come on the radio and they are instantly horrified? Switching the station as though it is a matter of life and death, or otherwise instantly berating the stuff?
Saying things like, "Oh my God, country music.... twangy. Depressing. Turn it, turn it, turn it!" [Holding their hands over their ears]. They do not stop to realize that not all country music is twangy, nor is it all depressing.
I noticed about myself that I am really never that way with music. Thing is, I can listen to any radio station and just appreciate what is there, given that my mood corresponds, in that moment. What I mean is, in any given half hour, I could be absolutely 100% TOTALLY into something by AC/DC, then Alan Jackson, then Beethoven, then Sting, then Metallica, then Gregorian chants, then Shania Twain, then some Brahms clarinet quintet in B minor. Followed by Nickelback.
It’s all good!

But then there is opera.
I can honestly say that there has never yet been one moment in my lifetime when I could tolerate more than three seconds of opera music.
For one thing, it is not even in any known actual language, is it?
And to me, it just seems very devoid of style. I know this is not fair at all, but the image I cannot shake is that of an assortment of overweight people trying to outdo each other in the art of hitting notes that no one really wants to hear. Some big dude, cummerbund maxed right out, cradling an enormous provolone cheese, and bellowing in agony.
Ten bears with their legs in ten traps!
As relaxing as dry railway brakes!
Soothing as a pin in the eye!

Please, no opera tickets for me!
Unless it’s that old Bugs Bunny “Barber of Seville” show!
Now THAT I would like to see, performed live!

Lah!
La la la la la la la la la!

La!
Lah!
*********

5 comments:

Cold Molasses said...

Ah yes...you mean the "Rabbit of Seville". One of the best cartoons of all time...although remarkably violent when you watch it again.

For your viewing pleasure:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z9dbZAGQjF0&search=bugs%20bunny

Cold Molasses said...

And then there is this version of Bugs and Elmer...not the childhood memories I have!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1p47S4RP0_Q&search=bugs%20bunny

Cold Molasses said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cold Molasses said...

And finally, for those with all types of musical tastes (like you Cip!)...here's another classic musical Bugs...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LkI_YpV9QH8&search=bugs%20bunny

Anonymous said...

I would say to you, that as well as watching those fabulous old Warner Bros. cartoons, you might try some opera that's a little easier on the ears, as a way of introduction.

'Carmen' is always a great way to introduce oneself to opera. First, it's in French. How hard is that? Second, the story pretty easy to understand, and has been made into movies (did you ever see 'Carmen Jones' with Harry Belafonte?) And finally, the music is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! I dare you to listen to Maria Callas singing this opera, and not fall in love with the music. When you hear "L'amour est enfant de bohme..." it's just heavenly. You also might try reading the libretto while you listen; that helps, too.

And then there is Italian opera! The music is so full of emotion, so lively, so much to explore! Have you ever heard the entire opera by Rossini, 'The Barber of Seville'? You should try it. Once again, Callas is the best for this music. Listen to her sing 'Una Voce Poco Fa'. She was the essence of Bel Canto.

You also might like to try La Traviata and Il Trovatore by Verdi. I'm sure you will recognize pieces of music in those productions.

Anyway, enough opera blather. Don't give up! Dip your toe in a bit!