Thursday, June 22, 2006

Splash du Jour: Thursday

Today is the birthday of thriller-writer, Dan Brown. Born on this day in Exeter, New Hampshire, in 1964. Although I have never read any of his books, his last one, The Da Vinci Code has, of last count, sold something like…. 670 billion copies!

“Writing an informative yet compact thriller is a lot like making maple sugar candy. You have to tap hundreds of trees - boil vats and vats of raw sap - evaporate the water - and keep boiling until you've distilled a tiny nugget that encapsulates the essence.”
-- Dan Brown

Have a great Thursday!

5 comments:

mattviews said...

OMG I just finished Da Vinci Code and The Pillars of Earth. I'm stunned and amazed by the latter of course. Working on the reviews of both.

What else do you recommend to read cip?

Cipriano said...

Matt:
The Dante Club, by Matthew Pearl.
His debut novel (2003). Don't ask me why, except that it is a book that I absolutely loved, and when you asked the question, INSTANTLY, The Dante Club came to mind.

mattviews said...

Alright I take your word for it! I will go grab it tomorrow on the way to work...also will be reading (re-reading)WAR AND PEACE along with other bloggers...

Anonymous said...

You forgot to add the past part to Dan's quote:

"Of course, I find it easiest to just borrow from existing recipes of maple sugar candy, mix it all up, and call it my own! Delicious, and serves millions!"

Cipriano said...

Hah!
Patricia, I think you've got it right, there.
But then again, I have not read any of the man's "work".
I've heard though that he is not exactly Tolstoy re-incarnate!
All the best to you. Great to hear from you.