Monday, July 10, 2006

Splash du Jour: Monday

Today is the birthday of the best short-story writer in the world.
The inimitable, elegant, wonderful, Alice Munro.
Born in Wingham, Ontario, July 10th, 1931.
She once said:

I like to look out the window. I have spent freely so much of my time doing this, and sometimes it strikes me how little I know of the various things other people can do. I can’t play bridge. I don’t play tennis. All those things that people learn, and I admire, there hasn’t seemed time for. But what there is time for is looking out the window.
Alice Munro has a new collection, coming out in the fall of 2006, entitled The View From Castle Rock.
See my own brief review of her last book, Runaway, here.
And I love this.

Have a great Monday.

2 comments:

Rebecca H. said...

I just bought Runaway, and I'm excited to read a little Munro. I may have read one short story of hers from a magazine, and that's it. Shameful, I know.

Cipriano said...

Oh, it is a great book Dorothy.
I think you will love her.