Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Splash du Jour: Tuesday

“Recently I eavesdropped on a conversation between two twenty-something employees at a local Starbucks. I listened as the barista mused about his taste in music. Then the cashier asked him if he had ever heard the song Strawberry Fields Forever. After a pause, the barista answered, ‘No, can’t say I ever heard that one before.’ That’s when I knew there really was such a thing as a generation gap.”
-- Mary Chapin Carpenter

Have a great Tuesday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I stopped laughing I realized how scary that is, as I'm on the other side of that generation gap. Eek!

JoanneMarie Faust said...

How strange. I've just been hearing stories left and right of small children and teenagers being absolutely obsessed with The Beatles. Don't give up hope.

I fear the generation gap as the songs I loved growing up are slowing becoming "classics." I mean, really, what is up with that? It's not supposed to happen. Classics and oldies are my parents music.

Anonymous said...

Yup, I experience that kinda thing a lot more these days. What I don't understand about that 'generation gap' thing is though, even when I was young, I was interested in all areas of the arts years and years ago. I loved everything from classical to Gilbert and Sullivan to swing to lounge lizard music and so on. Age is not an excuse. Ultimately, it's whether or not you've got the curiosity to discover what has come before you. Same goes for art, movies, books....the list goes on. Life just didn't start when I was born, and I wanna know what the heck has been going on!