Sunday, November 26, 2006

Living On Fourteen

Remember two Sundays ago, when I said I slept in like a darted rhino?
Well, I did it again today.
And after the kind of week I have had, I feel not one shred of guilt about my current state of weekend hibernation!
So it is that I am hereby declaring this day to be yet another Poem In Your Pocket Day!
I wrote this one based upon the profound realization that I live on the top floor of a 14-storey apartment building.
It is aptly entitled…

Living on Fourteen

I am convinced of it.

Something adrift in communal laundry-room air

spawns the philosopher / political strategist / polemicist

in folks that are elsewhere, none of the above.


Today, two graying hens, churning more froth

than a chorusline of Maytag agitators

reminded me that in this room

we know everything.


Religion, Louise, has always been a primitive response

to the deeper, intrinsic need for superstition in mankind.

I thoroughly agree, Myrtle, and I am exceedingly glad

that both propensities have gone the way of the dinosaur.


My basket of warm towels in tow, I faintly smiled

and entered the elevator for my minute of ascent.

Reaching my own floor, I stepped out and, still smiling,

walked the length of what is really the thirteenth.

© Ciprianowords Inc. 2006
**************

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

Love Louise and Myrtle. Are those their names or have they been changed to protect the innocent?