Thursday, November 02, 2006

Splash du Jour: Thursday

“Where was it,” thought Raskolnikov, “where was it I read about a man sentenced to death who, one hour before his execution, says or thinks that if he had to live on some high rock, on a cliff, on a ledge so narrow that there was only room enough for him to stand there, and if there were bottomless chasms all round, the ocean, eternal darkness, eternal solitude, and eternal gales, and if he had to spend all his life on that square yard of space – a thousand years, an eternity – he’d rather live like that man than die at once! Oh, only to live, live, live! Live under any circumstances – only to live.”
-- Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment, 1866 –

Have a great Thursday!

4 comments:

Cipriano said...

Yes, you know what?
Your comment is entirely apropos!
There is nothing much else to say!
The statement, [Dostoyevsky's] in and of itself, buried within fiction, forces us to ask the question of ourselves.... "which would I prefer?"
Great to hear from you, isabella.

Anonymous said...

Ah, you make me want to pick up Crime and Punishment again! ;)

Cipriano said...

Do it!
DO IT!
Do it, Dark Orifice!
Whenever I can inspire readers to read.... my life's goal is accomplished!
-- Cip!

Isabella K said...

Very astute of you, Cip, to divine precisely what my "wow" meant. Because I spent a lot of time in this comment box arguing about which was preferable and then deleted it all, leaving the only conclusion I could come up with.