Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Splash du Jour: Wednesday

I was a moody kid. I was an aloof kid, I kind of kept to myself. I think that an early sort of pre-writing indication that I had the calling to be a writer was how much time I liked to spend alone. I wasn't anti-social. I had friends, but I didn't really want to hang out with them after school. What I saw of them at school was enough. I needed to be in a room by myself even before I was writing, just imagining things, just thinking about things. If there was a weekend with too many cousins or other people around, I got a little edgy. I think the need to be by myself, which I've recognized in a couple of my own children, is one that was respected by my grandmother, with whom I lived until my mom remarried. . . when I was six. And I was fortunate to be in a big house, my grandmother's house, and there were lots of places to get off by yourself and imagine those things that I didn't know. And I find -- I'm 63, and my capacity to be by myself and just spend time by myself hasn't diminished any. That's the necessary part of being a writer, you better like being alone.
-- John Irving –

I may have discovered a NEW favorite living author, in the reading of his Prayer For Owen Meany. Look at the guy. He is like a George Clooney but with even better hair.

Have a great Wednesday!

2 comments:

Merisi said...

In the spring of 2006, John Irving read from his then newest novel, "Until I Find You", at the Burgtheater, the largest theater in Vienna. The bookreading was sold out weeks ahead. Even though I do not read his books, I enjoyed his performance and the talk afterwards (I had gotten the ticket from friends).

Anonymous said...

Hey Cip! You won an Amy Grant book! Email me your address and I'll get it sent off right away. Congrats!
amandalsnow@yahoo.com