Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Splash du Jour: Wednesday

Early morning is a time of magic in Cannery Row. In the gray time after the light has come and before the sun has risen, the Row seems to hang suspended out of time in silvery light. The street lights go out, and the weeds are brilliant green. The corrugated iron of the canneries glows with the pearly lucence of platinum or old pewter. No automobiles are running then. The street is silent of progress and business. And the rush and drag of the waves can be heard as they splash in among the piles of the canneries. It is a time of great peace, a deserted time, a little era of rest.
-- John Steinbeck’s Cannery Row

The above passage makes me want to stay home from work today….

Have a great Wednesday!

1 comment:

Shark said...

I've been meaning to read this one, though I'm never in the right place or time when it comes down to picking out a book to read. For me the best place for reading Steinbeck (Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men being my only references...) is in the country, mid august when everything is dry and dead, dust bowl stylez. I want to put down the book and yet I'm still there...