Sunday, June 08, 2008

The Chris Farley Show

One of my favorite comedic actors of all time is undoubtedly, Chris Farley.
God, I love that guy!
Today, at the book store, I noticed a new book, called The Chris Farley Show: A Biography In Three Acts.
It's written by his older brother Tom, and some other guy.
I want it.
I thumbed through the thing, and I read hilarious, and umm… not so hilarious excerpts. His life ended so prematurely, so tragically. And so many people saw it coming, and warned him of the dangers of continuing in his out-of-control lifestyle. For instance, SNL producer, Lorne Michaels tried to dispel Chris’s romanticized version of John Belushi’s own demise, warning that “there was nothing romantic about it. John missed most of the eighties, all of the nineties. And I don’t think that was his intention.” Michaels tells us, “I was pretty brutal with Chris. I mean, we buried John.”
And Chevy Chase says: “I sat with him and I said, ‘I’ve experienced this. I’ve seen who dies. I’ve seen how far you think you can go, what you can take and what you can’t. You’re just going to end up being an overweight guy who could fall on his stomach and had one or two funny things in his career, but nothing that’s ever really stood out. You’ll be a blip in the New York Times obituaries page, and that’ll be it. Is that what you want?’”

I say this sincerely, I miss the humor of Chris Farley.
One day, when this book is re-issued in paperback format, and is hence, affordable to a pauper like me, I am going to buy it and read it.
BUT… if anyone out there wants to buy it for me now, and send it to me, just let me know and I will be glad to forward you my snail-mail address!
If you are not familiar with the work of Chris Farley, I highly recommend that you guzzle about eleven beers, get in the car, drive down to Blockbuster and rent Black Sheep, or Tommy Boy, or Beverly Hills Ninja.
These are classic films, in the genre.



Chris Farley
(Feb.15, 1964 – Dec.18, 1997)
**********

No comments: