Friday, August 20, 2010

Splash du Jour: Friday








It Was The World


Mornings I would wait for them.

I never knew it then, but I did, I waited.
They had a way of arriving. Of staying --
He'd read the paper or a book.

She'd bury herself in a Harpers or New Yorker.

-- of making me feel young.

Feigning a chore I would lean forward

just to hear some of their talk.

Refill his coffee, her tea, slowly, to catch more of it.

Those words between them like dew on grass,
sunlight aslant.

A wayward blueberry on her lip once sat

and she smiled, unbeknownst. No napkin
but his finger, lifted it. Right then it was the world.

When his head bent slightly to the left,

so did mine, and I loved her too.

So, today, when the bell tinkled,

and I turned with two saucers in my hands

toward one man -- nothing more needed to be said.

c. Ciprianowords, Inc. 2010

Have a great Friday!
*******

1 comment:

D.B. said...

God, you're good!