Saturday, December 31, 2011

Old Acquaintance

As the New Year of 2012 inexorably approaches I am reminded of something I recently read in a fabulous novel by Amor Towles. In Rules of Civility, there is a passage as follows:
Should old acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to mind?
Sometimes, it sure seems that's what life intends. After all, it's basically a centrifuge that spins every few years casting approximate bodies in disparate directions. And when the spinning stops, almost before we can catch our breath, life crowds us with a calendar of new concerns. Even if we wanted to retrace our steps and rekindle our old acquaintances, how could we possibly find the time?

My answer to the initial question is quickly answered:
No.
Old acquaintances should not be forgotten.
Just because we have moved on in our life to other things, other people even, doesn't mean we should forget what someone has meant to us -- I think that the New Year is a terrific time to rekindle those memories.
If any of us were to make one resolution, this should be it.
To say hello to someone overdue of our acknowledgment.
I immediately know who I want to say "Hi" to, and I bet you can think of the same in your life.
It's true that time seems to constrain us, at every remove. But I encourage you to make [invent, if you must] the time to say "hello" to someone who has not heard it from you, in a long while.

Wishing you, my Dear Acquaintances, all the best in 2012.
******

4 comments:

Stefanie said...

Happy New Year Cip! May 1012 bring you lots of good reading and tasty hamburgers!

Melwyk said...

Lovely sentiment! I think I'm signing off now to go write a letter to a college roommate I miss...thanks :)

Cipriano said...

Thank you, Stefanie.
McDonalds has a new burger I am severely addicted to.
The 1/3rd Angus with Swiss cheese and Mushrooms.
It's going to be a great year!

Melwyk, I hope you did write this letter.
Everything good to you, in 2012.

Anonymous said...

All the best in the New Year Cippy! We've been thinking of you as we toasted again tonight!
C.