Friday, February 24, 2012

Splash du Jour: Friday

Disassemble the cells of a sponge (by passing them through a sieve, for instance), then dump them into a solution, and they will find their way back together and build themselves into a sponge again. You can do this to them over and over, and they will doggedly reassemble because, like you and me and every other living thing, they have one overwhelming impulse: to continue to be.
-- Bill Bryson, A Short History of Nearly Everything --


Have a great Friday!
******

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe Jeffery dahmer tried this with people. It didn't work.

Alyce said...

I've been reading this one (slowly) over the past month and I'm still only about a third of the way through. I am thoroughly enjoying it though! I haven't read about sponges yet - very cool!

Cipriano said...

Anonymous:
Yes, but Dahmer worked with a higher medium of.... life-form. The higher up you go, the deader dead becomes!

Alyce:
It also took me quite a while to get through this book. I'm a slow reader at the best of times, but this one, I admit -- it was so packed full of way-interesting stuff, I sort of mulled it over, rather than devoured it.

Anonymous said...

So the higher you go up the food chain the deader dead becomes? Does this apply to life itself, or God too?