Saturday, December 07, 2013

End of Year TBR List

I wonder if I am unique in this -- another year goes by and you think of all the books you intended to read, and have not yet read.
This is just ONE STACK of a few of my recent acquisitions -- and it does seem that at the end of the year, they tend to pile up. My birthday occurs in December, so along with that, and early Christmas gifts, I am always inundated with terrific stuff to read.
From the top:
Why Does The World Exist?, by Jim Holt. This is one I am eager to get into. A philosophical examination of the idea: Why is there something, rather than nothing?
Water Music, by T.C. Boyle. His first novel, I'm really looking forward to this one. A comedic African adventure story, set in the late 18th Century.
All Other Nights, by Dara Horn. A historical novel about a guy sent to murder his own uncle, who is plotting to assassinate Abraham Lincoln.
The Diaries of Sofia Tolstoy. Speaks for itself? I've always been interested in all things Tolstoyish.
At Home In The World, by Joyce Maynard. This memoir is written by the woman who was, at the mere age of eighteen, involved in a romantic affair with writer J.D. Salinger.
The Sisters Brothers, by Patrick DeWitt. I've been meaning to read this allegedly hilarious "western" for quite a while now.
An Appetite For Wonder, by Richard Dawkins. Autobiography of the famous atheistic scientist. I've always loved Richard Dawkins, and want to find out what makes him tick.

So -- a lot of good reading ahead of me, in 2014. These, and many many unnamed and as yet, unpiled, others. Have any of you read any of these mentioned ones? 

Maybe your comments will help me with where to start.
*****

2 comments:

Alyce said...

I do that, and look at the stacks of library books that enter and leave the house without being read (right now I've got a ridiculously unrealistic 30 checked out). I have most of my book collection in the attic and find that I don't go up there as often as I thought I would. It's out of sight out of mind, and then when I go up there I get a combo of excitement about books that are old friends, books I want to read, and guilt over those I've neglected for far too long.

I haven't read any of those on your list, but I do own The Sisters Brothers and have been meaning to read it for quite a while.

Stefanie said...

I've not read any of them but I am really curious about Why Does the World Exist.