Wednesday, April 23, 2014

I Need To Come Up With A Plausible Illness...

One thing I really love about living in a fair size city is that there are always a fair amount of author-events. Last night as I left my favorite coffee shop I just happened to notice a stack of pamphlets sitting on a table and I picked one up. It was an ad for this year's Writer's Festival which begins tomorrow. The first thing I saw was a full page describing a Literary Luncheon With Eleanor Catton. Wow, I'd love to go to that -- even though some aspects of her new book sort of eluded me, really. Still, it was a pretty dang good book. Thing is, this event includes FOOD… and stuff. 
So now it is even more tempting, because I love food!
The ad says, "Each ticket includes a tasty meal, good company, great conversation and a copy of The Luminaries to get signed. Better yet, proceeds support our free children's literacy programs." Nice! However, reading through the brochure, I found something that is even more interesting to me. Emma Donoghue, on April 28th, will be discussing her newest book, Frog Music -- a book I have every intention of reading. Emma Donoghue is a fantastic writer, one of my favorite writers, for sure. The downside is that the event starts at 6:30 p.m., and I work until 6 p.m. at a minimum. So I don't think I can leave work early enough to get to the thing. 

Hmm… unless I think of a really good excuse to skip away early.
Maybe a toothache? Brain aneurysm? Sudden onset diarrhea?
[Hmmm… hopefully my boss is not reading this blog right now.]

*****

2 comments:

Stefanie said...

Oh Cip, I think you look a little feverish, are you sure you're ok? Maybe you should stay home on the 28th when I am sure whatever this thing you are coming down with will strike in full force. But I am certain you will be able to affect a speedy recovery :)

Cipriano said...

Stefanie, thank you for this astute diagnosis.
It's so true, I'm just not feeling too good lately. It seems to me that by Monday I am going to be downright SICK!