Sunday, March 12, 2006

A Kid Thinks It Through


A Kid Thinks It Through

I’m watching the pond
and the frog jumps in;
The splash, the ripples
“Kerplunk!”
Was it water or frog
that made the sound?
And I sat on the shore
and thunk.

A little of both? That
doesn’t seem right…
It’s got to be one or
the other.
And all of this thinkin’
is hurtin’ my brain, so
I guess it’s a question
for mother.

I ask her, she tells me
it’s hard to explain;
“You’re better off asking
your dad…”
He says, “There are things
in this life we can know
while others, we can’t
understand.”

I walked away kicking
a stone in the dirt…
thinkin’ grown-ups don’t know
about stuff.
Yet, not that they’re dumb
or stupid as such
but it’s just they don’t think
long enough…

For back at the shore
I figured it out, as
“kerplunk” went the rocks
that I hurled.
And I giggled to think
that a kid and a frog
could’ve silenced the whole
adult world.

© Ciprianowords Inc. 2006
***********

2 comments:

Stefanie said...

What a fun poem!

Cipriano said...

Thank you.
It was fun to write. Sometimes I like writing sort of juvenile-ish poemetry.
I want another shot at being a tree-climbing kid.....