Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Splash du Jour: Tuesday

Well, I guess I did NOT disappear.
But a whole bunch of other people did.
The Copperfield show was excellent. I really liked it.

He says:
There are many different modes of creating wonder--psychology, misdirection, suggestion. A magician must find out what people are drawn to--what colors, what numbers, what shapes--so that you can kind of get a general idea of what people want to see. We’re kind of in the same business as advertisers, because we give people what they want to see, but on our terms. It’s hard to give an example without revealing secrets.
The Internet has made that job more difficult. Today, we’re in a world of so much communication, and we can find anything anywhere. How do I as a magician combat that? I’ve had to come up with four or five methods for each illusion, which is part of the reason that it takes me two years to come up with my illusions. So if somebody is mean spirited enough to try to expose what I’m doing and to give the audience a look behind the curtain, it doesn’t create a real problem.
What I’ll do is keep the illusion, but change the method or how I deliver it.
After all, my job is not to reveal a secret, but to create wonder--not to demystify, but to continue to mystify.
-- David Copperfield -- Excerpted from an interview with Lacey Rose on Oct. 11, 2005.

Have a great Tuesday!
*********

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha!
It was all just big talk, then, to make us fearful of losing you, was it?. You yourself are a Master of Ilusion, I see.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.”
-- Albert Einstein

Well, I for one am relieved, I can tell you... glad for Jack that his keeper came home. Now give him some treats.