Friday, June 01, 2007

RENT: A Poem-Thing

Today, June 1st, marks TEN YEARS of renting this penthouse apartment.
Before this I paid rent elsewhere, assuredly yes, but I am just thinking today of how long ten years is!
Like at this one address.
I mean, it’s damn near a decade!
120 months of robbery by consent!
RENT!
Rent is craziness.
No wonder the word can also mean “torn”… for I have had well over $$ one hundred thousand dollars $$ untimely ripp't from me in the past decade!
Gone, gone, gone!
So, as I sit here at Starbucks© musing upon such things, I compose a few whimsical lines on the subject.
The subject of….

Rent

I dare you to find among things winged or hooved
A more nutty idea, a thing so far removed
From basic common sense. You can’t do it!
Even oxen would would throw off their yoke and eschew it.

Ask the busiest of lads, [I refer to the beaver]
That steady, stick-carrying, over-achiever.
He does what he does for one reason. To own!
When’s he’s done the damn dam the damn dam is his home!

And the chickens and bees, daily robbed of their labours
Know it’s only because they’ve got humans for neighbours.
So it’s not from compliance they continue their striving
But in faith and in hope they keep laying and hiving.

And the horse, does he willingly hitch to the carriage?
To be told who to woo, who be given in mare-age?
No. There’s only one reason he bends to the plow.
It’s the bit in his mouth puts the sweat on his brow.

Surely man’s the dumb beast, and for instance, take me.
Month by month giving money that I’ll never see,
To a landlord unseen. And he makes his own home
With the fortune I’ve traded for what I’ll not own.

© Ciprianowords Inc. 2007

3 comments:

Beth said...

What a mind you have! I'm laughing.
My favourite stanza is the beaver one - a close second is the oxen one with "eschew it.."

Save up for a down payment, man! Get free of your "yoke."

(And, go, Sens, go...it's do or die tonight!)

Anonymous said...

Ahh I know what you mean! I've been renting at various places for 6 years and I'm darn tired of it! Saving up for a down payment right now!

Cipriano said...

Thank you for reading me, girls.
Might I ask you to pray tonight?
PRAY, not so much for my RENT-ish woes, [which are beyond hope]... but for my Hockey Team to triumph this evening?
Where two or three.... or thousands... are gathered, there is hope in the midst...!