Friday, October 19, 2007

Favoring Frolic

Forgive me, dear readers, for embarking, this very minute, on the writing of the most nothingful blog in the world.
I’m sitting in the Starbucks section of a Chapters bookstore, and I’m reading John Irving’s A Prayer For Owen Meany.
Fabulous book. I am loving it.
This book sat on my shelf for years and years before I finally picked it off of there and opened it up. It had dust on it! I’m only halfway through but I already know that Irving is an author I will want to continue to discover, through his many other novels.

So I’m sitting here and in walk the two girls I once mentioned a while ago.
In fact, since this current blog is absolutely nothingful, I would encourage you to click on the above link and and read that former one.
Then return here, if the two girls intrigue you.

Same girls.
And as they sit across from my table here in the little alcove area, there is the occasionally wafting of air that tells me they still smell good.
They still smell very much… “like a woman!”
What intrigues me about them though, is how much they do not study.
Apparently they are here to study something. They have dragged a small endtable out in front of them and have filled it with papers and pens and highlighters and textbooks. Then they squeezed the two chairs together, so they could be nearer each other.
“AND THEY HAVE NOT STOPPED YIPPING AND YAPPING AND TALKING AND LAUGHING FOR EVEN ONE SECOND IN THE PAST HALF-HOUR,” said Owen Meany.
STUDIES BE DAMNED!
PHOTOCOPIED ARTICLES GO TO HELL!
HIGHLIGHTERS BE CAPPED!

In a way, it so refreshing to see such happy friends, so thoroughly enjoying each other. So primed for fun that they can utterly forget their studious intentions.
Smelling so good, and teeming with such a fret-free measure of Friday-night frivolity that they frigging forfeit their fact-finding faculties in favor of frolic.

***********

2 comments:

Beth said...

So glad you are enjoying A Prayer for Owen Meany - A FABULOUS BOOK!
I envy you now being able to discover all Irving's other works.

(Nice job with the alliteration in your last sentence.)

Anonymous said...

I'm totally with you about public disturbance, especially, in your case, at a supposedly quiet study area.

Once in a while there are a couple of people who would glue to their cellphone and force upon on us all their drama in life. Now the regulars at the neighborhood cafe would give them a reproach stare, all at once, and demand them to take their phone conversation outside.