Saturday, November 07, 2009

Aunt Elsie: A Saturday Poem


Aunt Elsie


Not just the clanging of the dinner bell.
Difficult as this is to forget. Or her shrill call.
The walk-in-and-wander food pantry.
None of this brings her back as clearly to me as that
squint she had, sun or no. Nothing to do with light.

That narrowing of the eyes meant laughter, sadness,
punishment, linoleum repairs, change the channel,
chicken heads to be cut off, storm tomorrow, I had too
many children, or most of all, most of all -- open
yours as much as you can, while you can.

c. Ciprianowords, Inc. 2009

2 comments:

Melwyk said...

I do like this. It calls up a vivid person, one that I can see right in front of me...very nice.

Cipriano said...

Thank you Melanie.
I had good subject material.
My Aunt Elsie was an unforgettable gal.