Sunday, March 07, 2010

Thou Shalt Not Covet...

........ and yet I do. Oh, I do.
Not the neighbor's wife.
Not the neighbor's ass.
[Not that I've even seen either thing....]
I covet BOOKS!
And 2010 promises to be a year full of great new books. I could talk for three years about books I have on the back burner, waiting to be read by me. There seem to be more of these, than those that I have already read. Which is saying a mouthful, considering I have basically lived half a normal lifetime reading books on a near-constant basis.
If I lived three normal lifetimes I would not tire of books -- nor ever deplete a To-Be-Read pile over there, cobwebs from stack to wall.

But yeah, 2010 looks good.
I will place here just a mere listing of three real beauties.

First, a new one by Ian McEwan. Solar.
And if you don't like McEwan, just keep that information to yourself.
I want to remain friends
with you. I just truly cherish his writing. I'm well on my way to reading everything he has written, past, present and future. Admittedly, I have not really enjoyed his short stories. I believe his real knack is in the realm of the novel. Solar [and all of these release dates are Canadian] is due to be in stores ON TUESDAY.
March 9th, 2010.
Then there is Yann Martel.
His new novel Beatrice and Virgil, with a release date of April 6th, 2010. His novel Life of Pi is a story that has indelibly left a mark upon me.
Meeting the author and having a fifteen second chat with him was enough to show me that he is the real deal.

Then...... I may even anticipate this one the most of all...... Philip Pullman's trilogy His Dark Materials was something that completely took me by surprise. ACCOSTED me.
I cannot wait to get my hands on this new novel of his, entitled The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ.
Well, all that is within me covets this book! Relase date: April 2oth, 2010. I am insanely curious as to how I will like it, as compared to the WONDERFUL Saramago novel The Gospel According to Jesus Christ.
Anyhoo -- just dropping in here to say "Hi" to all my Booklover friends.
And say, "Welcome to the spring of 2010".
A year in which much literary-coveting shall be richly rewarded.
Click on the book images to learn more about each book.
Meanwhile, happy reading to one and all!

********

2 comments:

Stefanie said...

I am very much looking forward to the Martel book. I didn't know about the others and they both look good too. Ah spring. It's going to be a good one!

Melwyk said...

I know, isn't it a great season? I am looking forward to the Pullman for precisely the reason you mention -- how will it compare to Saramago? So, so many great books to read this Spring!!