Sunday, December 23, 2007

Skewing My Salingers

This morning, I received a personal email from a very astute Salingerian aficianado regarding my allusion to Salingerism in yesterday’s blog entitled I Like Airports.
In there, [and thinking myself witty as hell at the time of composition] I had said → I replied, as Holden Caulfield might have done, by saying, “Who doesn’t?”
My dear reader informed me that it was not Holden Caulfield that spoke in this particular idiomatic way, but rather it was Seymour Glass, the man that appears in several Salinger stories, and finally ends up killing himself during a vacation with his wife in Florida in 1948 in A Perfect Day For Bananafish.
This story appears in Salinger’s collection entitled Nine Stories which remains as one of my all-time favorite collection of short stories.
So, thank you for setting me straight in this particular instance.
I would love to sit down with you and drink coffee and listen to you and talk books until way past closing time!
I love interacting with people that are this sharpened and honed when it comes to literature.
And hey!
Who doesn’t?

***********

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ho ho ho! I want to wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. I've been traveling through Southeast Asia and am now arriving in Hong Kong to be with my family. I haven't kept up with reading blogs. But I'll take a peek whenever I have a chance. I have read 3 books by Maugham and have completed the Armchair Traveler Challenge. Yay!