Wednesday, December 14, 2005

The Penelopiad.

I am again at Starbucks, and again, it is so cold out.
How do stray animals, and stray people, stay alive out there?

Tonight I am thinking of Margaret Atwood’s The Penelopiad, a book I read just prior to Kundera’s Identity.
This book was sent to me as a gift, from a friend who is well aware of how much I love Margaret Atwood’s writing. Since I am such an avid fan, I realize my perception of this book may be a bit biased. It is just that I am now even more convinced that Atwood cannot help but continue to not write badly. [<-- Unlike that very sentence there!]

She is so good. And I loved this latest book of hers. It is part of the Myths Series, (initiated, I think, by Knopf) which will include books by various well-known authors, each focusing on a re-telling of some ancient myth. For instance, Jeanette Winterson has already completed one entitled Weight, the myth of Atlas and Heracles. And Karen Armstrong’s A Short History of Myth is also already available.
This one by Margaret is a bit of a different slant on the myth of Penelope and Odysseus.
Other than watching The Simpsons fairly regularly, I know very little about Homer, so, as I picked up this book (unwrapped it really) I felt like... “D’oh! I am not gonna understand this thing!”
I have never read The Odyssey.
But the neat thing is, I found that you do not have to know much about The Odyssey in order to really enjoy this book. The brief Introduction itself furnishes enough background to get right into the midst of the story before you are finished even the first brief chapter.
Most readers will at least be familiar with the story of the beautiful Helen of Troy (Penelope’s cousin) and how she is finally liberated by Brad Pitt. Well, when Penelope’s husband Odysseus (reluctantly) leaves Ithaca to join in the fracas involving this Trojan War, he stays away for twenty years.
And Penelope is left behind, to tend to the affairs of state and the state of affairs.
During this time, men are pretty much crawling out of the woodwork to try and win her hand in marriage, everyone presuming that Odysseus is long since dead.
For decades, there is no word from him. Only legends, rumors, contradictory reports as to his whereabouts. It's the ultimate “he went out for a pack of smokes and I haven’t seen him since” story.

Penelope has always been lauded as the epitome of unwavering faithfulness, patiently waiting for Odysseus to return to her.
Drawing on material other than Homer’s Odyssey, Atwood has chosen to tell the story of this interim period from the perspective of Penelope herself. Along with this first-person story, Atwood has placed alternating sections where Penelope’s twelve maids share their story also. These twelve were hanged until dead by Odysseus and Telemachus (father and son) upon the former’s return to Ithaca.
From the narration standpoint, it is from start to finish a tale from beyond the grave, as Penelope tells us, in the opening sentence “Now that I’m dead I know everything.”

Atwood tells us in the Introduction that there are two questions which are raised (and unanswered) after anyone reads Homer’s Odyssey. These are: what led to the hanging of the maids, and what was Penelope really up to?
She says, “The story as told in The Odyssey doesn’t hold water: there are too many inconsistencies. I’ve always been haunted by the hanged maids; and in The Penelopiad, so is Penelope herself.”

This little book pulls back the curtain on an important portion of mythic history.
No one can do it better than Margaret Atwood.

[T.yL.i.I.]

*********

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, as if I haven't snuck enough books for myself on my Amazon and Barnes & Noble orders already, now I have to place yet another one because I HAVE to get this book - sounds fascinating! Yeah, I read the Odyssey but never could figure out the whole maids thing either. I'm anxious to see what "Penelope" has to say. Hope you're keeping warm with plenty of hot java up there in the frigid tundra...just curious-are you a coffee unpolluted kind of guy, a speciality (latte, cappucino) or room for cream kind? And I love your Starbucks art-we have nothing so interesting currently-one is a red rectangle with a black (!) elephant and the word "Kenya" on it...not very inspiring!

Cipriano said...

I hope this will not be too heretical of a statement here (you sound a little bit hard-core)... but I put a little bit of HONEY and cream in my coffee. Not a lot of either. I have it down to a science. I know how to swirl it in there, like I don't even watch anymore. Yet it is always just right.
[That sounds a bit unintentionally erotic, as I re-read it].
But... I leave the above as it is, because I do take my coffee business with a certain amount of eroticism attached, I guess. I am SERIOUS about coffee.
I've seen the Kenya/elephant picture you are referring to.
All the best to you.
Keep buying books.
Even when it gets ridiculous.
Keep buying them.
This Atwood one... yes. Get it. You won't be disappointed with Maggie.

Anonymous said...

Au contraire, I am anything but hardcore! I am a sugar and half-and half kind of woman when it comes to coffee and I frequently partake of both latte and cappucino! I never thought of honey for coffee, although I would expect it would impart wonderful flavor. Maggie is on her way to me and should arrive by the weekend. She and I are fast friends. I shall NEVER stop buying books. And if there is a heaven and I end up there, I will be surrounded by gazillions of books, loved ones, comfy chairs and coffee any way I choose!

Cipriano said...

Try the honey.
I only use a tad of sugar when absolutely necessary. As much as I love coffee, I simply cannot drink it black. And the half-and-half, yes, that is what I use for getting that nice tan shade. Milk, especially the skim or 1% or 2% stuff, is a no-no.
Simply does not work.
So... the downside of using this combination has to be mentioned. All of this cream and honey has meant that over the years, I have begun to increasingly resemble Winnie-The-Pooh!
But this is the price I willingly pay for the enjoyment of the java...
Your concept of heaven sounds as good as anything I have heard.