Friday, January 13, 2006

Splash du Jour: Friday

Well, occasionally I am wont to post my own original poems here on bookpuddle, and since it is Friday the 13th today, I am going to post this one here.
It’s about the staying power of superstition.
By way of background, I live on the 14th floor of an apartment building.
I know, I know... some of you real keeners will recall that I have posted this particular poem before, like maybe on July 7th, 2005 or something like that, but.... it’s just so damn GOOD that I must do it again!

Living On Fourteen

I am convinced of it.
Something adrift in communal laundry-room air
spawns the philosopher / political strategist / polemicist
in folks that are elsewhere, none of the above.

Today, two graying hens, churning more froth
than a chorusline of Maytag agitators
reminded me that in this room
we know everything.

Religion, Louise, has always been a primitive response
to the deeper, intrinsic need for superstition in mankind.
I thoroughly agree, Myrtle, and I am exceedingly glad
that both propensities have gone the way of the dinosaur.

My basket of warm towels in tow, I faintly smiled
and entered the elevator for my minute of ascent.
Reaching my own floor, I stepped out and, still smiling,
walked the length of what is really the thirteenth.

© Ciprianowords Inc. 2006

Have a great [and hopefully unsuperstitious] Friday the 13th!

*********

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know! I know! - When I was in college, I lived on the 15th floor of my dorm, which was technically the 14th.

Why is it that buildings won't acknowledge a 13th floor? Don't they realize that it's there whether they deem to count it or not??

I'm very superstitious, actually - even though my kittycat Ziggy, whom I love, is almost entirely black: but I let him cross my path all the time!

Very good poem, by the way:>)

Anonymous said...

Oh that is a fabulous poem!

Happy Friday the 13th!

I have various strange stupidstions... once a friend of scottish descent told me that it's bad luck to put newly bought shoes on a table, or any raised surface. Ever since then, I don't do it. Even if they are old shoes. Is that bizarre or what?

And I too, have a black cat. He is an adorable and utterly insufferable beast by the name of Hamish. It sure feels like bad luck when he's sitting on top of my full bladder at 5:00 in the morning!

Cipriano said...

Thank you [BOTH] for implying that I am one of the world's best poets. Living and/or dead.
[Note: The above hyperbolic statement is known as "poetic license" or "eisegesis" or is sometimes euphemistically referred to as "filling in the blanks."]
In all seriousness though, aren't superstitions a wild sort of thing?
I am wondering if I have any.
I can't really think of any... oh wait... yes, I do have one.
My own most enduring superstition is that I have always felt averse to going to work on days that end in "ay."
Totally.
This is my nagging superstition.