Wednesday, February 01, 2006

A really great book...

Coming to you LIVE from The Public Library!
Just thought I'd say Hi.
It is official.
I am going Mac.
On Friday I will be getting the Mac laptop... I forget what it is called. The G4 or something? Powerbook?
It's expensive as hell. Virus-immune and liquid cooled. Oh YEAH!
I guess I will simply have to learn to use the Ctrl key every time I would have right-clicked and stuff.
Am I doing the right thing? Any opinions out there?
I have always been a PC user.
SERIOUS QUESTION: Am I in for profound culture shock?

Anyway, just thought I would mention also that I am currently half through the Emma Donoghue book [Life Mask] and it is fabulously good. Better than I expected. I mean, I knew she was an excellent writer, but this book is surprising me with its profoundly consistent not-badness. It is historical fiction, set in late 18th century London.
I've read two other books by this author, Slammerkin and The Woman Who Gave Birth To Rabbits, the latter book consisting of short stories.
They were both amazingly good, but Slammerkin, shown above was exceptionally memorable.
Recommended unequivocably.
The best to one and all!
********

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for you! There are guys in my dept. that won't use anything BUT a Mac(Microshaft, Windblows are the terms they use for PCs for example!). The Media & Communications dept. at our university requires their students to have a Mac & not a PC & use them in their public labs because of their amazing graphics capabilities. There's no arguing they are less prone to viruses, but still be sure to put a spyware program (AdAware from Lavasoftusa.com is a good free one-we run it at the end of every bus. day). Macs get spyware like everything else. Be sure your firewall is enabled and you still should have an anti-virus program-they can still host or pass a virus on. We use McAfee-haven't had good experiences with Symantec/Norton products. You'll adjust in no time-enjoy your G4!

JoanneMarie Faust said...

How much more can you ask for than "profoundly consistent non-badness?"

Cipriano said...

Thank you for the advice and comments. I am still at The Library. [I actually slept here in an empty shelf last night].
Tomorrow I should be good to go.
New laptop. Plus I am going to tear apart my old one and try to retrieve a couple million files that I did not back up before disaster struck.

Piksea, I see that you have picked up on my penchant for double-negative hyperbole. It usually works quite well for me... except this one time when, in a really romantic moment, I breathed into my girlfriend's ear... "Baby, you are so totally not very ugly."
She did not receive that with nearly as much ardour as I meant it.

Stefanie said...

Macs are great! I made the switch when they had the blueberry ibooks. I upgraded to a powerbook a couple years ago and love it! It will take you some getting used to, but you will be ever so happy.