Sunday, February 19, 2006

Worried about Jack...

I don't want to be alarmist or anything, but I am sort of worried about my cat Jack, as of late.
It seems to me that he is sleeping even more than usual.
Here is a rare photo of him with his eyes open.
Seriously now, I know that cats are notorious for sleeping away 90% of their lifetime, but Jack is overdoing it.
The only time the guy is at all awake is maybe if he is walking over to his food-dish or perhaps throwing up in my shoes.
There seems to be never a time when he is not in some sort of coma.
So I looked some stuff up on the internet, general cat-lore.
Apparently, house cats sleep anywhere from 16 to 20 hours a day. The explanation is that they are so tired "from hunting mice and other vermin."
But wait a minute.
What does Jack need to hunt?
I mean, I know he does a lot of late-night reading and stuff, but other than this, WHAT IS HE SO TIRED ABOUT?
How can he sleep so much?
On any given day I am hereby estimating that my cat is sleeping about 23 hours or so.
Is that normal?
How much does your cat sleep?
Am I a bad dad?
Should I be seeking some medical attention?
Should I be seeking some for my cat also?

********

4 comments:

Isabella K said...

If my cat doesn't get 23 hours' sleep a day he's an absolute grouch. Let sleeping cats lie, I say.

Stefanie said...

My cat sleeps most of the time. He only bothers to wake up for the necessaries--food, litter box, and an occasional brushing. He's 16 and diabetic so I figure he's earned it.

Cipriano said...

Ahhh, thank you Girls.
I was just about to report myself to The Inhumane Society!
So Jack is sort of normal then?
Not dying from something?
I wonder... does he dream?
Like seriously, all of his dreams must be at least two or three videocassettes long. You know? Like Ben Hur. [Or just about any other Charlton Heston thing.] Or... Titanic.
Or a Ken Burns documentary on Jazz or Baseball.
Maybe this is when he wakes up? When the tape pops out and has to be replaced with the next one?
[Come to think of it, he HAS been asking me to buy greater amounts of popcorn lately!]
The little rotter.
Dreaming all day while I am working my butt off trying to keep house and home together!

Stefanie said...

I am sure my cat has Itchy and Scratchy kinds of dreams involving doing dastardly things to the dog. Good thing he sleeps to much to act on them.

I have heard rumors that two or more cats tend to be more active but since I've only ever had one cat at a time I cannot verify that.