Thursday, August 03, 2006

10 Questions

Isabella, of Magnificent Octopus, book-memed me.
Here are my responses:




1. One book that changed your life:
The Bible, specifically the Gospels of the New Testament.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
Anna Karenina by Tolstoy.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
The Complete Works of William Shakespeare.

4. One book that made you laugh:
The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz by Mordecai Richler.

5. One book that made you cry:
Some Things That Stay by Sarah Willis.

6. One book that you wish had been written:
How To Ensure That You Are Not Dirt-Poor At Age 42.

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx & Freidrich Engels.

8. One book you’re currently reading:
The Meaning of Jesus: Two Visions by Marcus J. Borg & N.T. Wright.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
Middlemarch by George Eliot.

10. One person you will tag:
Matt @ A Guy's Moleskin Notebook.

**************

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your answers. Middlemarch and Anna Karenina are two books I've been meaning to read for a long time.

Isabella K said...

Thanks for playing! Middlemarch I only just read fairly recently, and it definitely ranks as one of my favourite books ever.

Stefanie said...

What! No Atwood! No Saramago! No Munro! :)

Anonymous said...

If they write that book about not being dirt poor....please let me know. I fear I am heading that way...

Anonymous said...

Well, Cipriano.

I see you are "currently reading" William Maxwell.
I have really enjoyed what I have read of this author.
In fact, the places he writes about are quite near where I am living, and my daughter attends the school (University of Illinois) where he once taught.

Do you realize that he was an editor for the New Yorker?

I was just wondering if you would offer a few words on what you think of Maxwell's work. I have the very book you have posted lying right here on my messy computer desk, and I am eager to start it.

You're a fabulous and entertaining blogman - a veritable orchid in the world of the literate.

Ciao.
A Long-time Cipriano Fan

mattviews said...

Thanks Dave. I posted my responses for the meme. :)

Cipriano said...

Thank you, all readers. Neat comments.
Stefanie... aha! Very keen [astute] of you! Nowhere in this book-meme did it ask to name FAVORITE books though! If it did, I would have had to mention Atwood, Saramago, and Munro.
Ahh, you know me well!

Anonymous, I am NOT a Maxwell expert [yet]. You should read the book along with me. Actually, I have had no time lately, even though I am on vacation. Was thinking of beginning the book on the airplane home! Monday!