Friday, December 29, 2006

Am I converted?

Well, I hesitate to write of this, because I know that I am going to be razzed by my pseudo-macho-friends as soon as they read of it, but... [OK, here goes...]
LAST NIGHT I WATCHED A MUSICAL!
And that's not all! [...Heaven help me...]
I LIKED IT!
Here's the lowdown, the scenario...
A while ago, my dear dear friend, [a lover of musicals and the entire musical-genre], she sent me the DVD of The Music Man. An early 1960's production, starring Shirley Jones and Robert Preston.
Previously, I had voiced my opinion that I am not a great fan of musicals, in general. I think that this was part of why she sent me The Music Man.
To cure me!
It may have worked, because I really enjoyed the thing.
I had been waiting for the right moment to watch this movie and last night, the moment arrived. I was having a sleepover at my mom's place, here on vacation. It's the first time I had ever been to her new apartment... so we [just her and I] cuddled up [sort of] on the couch and began to watch 151 minutes of singing and dancing.
I was surprised at how much we both enjoyed the thing.
After watching a non-stop assortment of modern movies over the past week, all of which contained enough swearing and violence and mayhem to send my dear old mom into convulsions, it was really refreshing to experience such a well-done, wholesomely good [innocent-like] classic movie.

It is so well choreographed. It is so funny.
And Shirley Jones, [as Marian the Librarian] is a total hottie!

So, all in all, I highly recommend this movie to one and all.
It may cure you of musical-ignorance, as it has done for me!

Here's an extremely brief synopsis of The Music Man:
Confidence man Harold Hill arrives at River City, Iowa, intending to cheat the community with his standard scam of offering to equip and train a boy's marching band. His real intention is to skip town with the money since he has no music skill anyway. Things go awry when he falls for the hottie librarian named Marian Paroo. She becomes savvy to his shenanigans but is impressed with the way is which he inadvertently enriches the town with a love of music.
T.y.L.i.I.
************

5 comments:

Cold Molasses said...

I also recommend Man of La Mancha and Guys & Dolls.

Anonymous said...

Does the shoe fit? . . .

Man looking for friendship - Neat, white, single male living alone in downtown apartment with beautiful male cat. Likes reading, Starbucks, the internet and Musicals. Looking for a little "friendship". Write - Bookfean at POBox 444, Beantown, ON, CA

Now how does your gayish (not that there's anything wrong with that) blog sound???

Anonymous said...

Yes, well, ahem, be that as it may. . . we women also like to see a guy who is in touch with his sensitive side, you know, Pseudo-macho.

And as for liking musicals and cats...they are definitely going to give him a leg up, so to say.

Come take me for coffee at Starbucks, Cipriano. We'll discuss some books and then pick up a musical to watch later. . .

Anonymous said...

I don't think less of you. I just love the last anonymous comment!
- Stephanie
www.thewrittenword.wordpress.com

Cipriano said...

Dear Anonymous:
IT'S A DATE.
[Perhaps I shoud l ask though..... are you a guy or a girl? I mean... so I know what to wear and all!]