Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Splash du Jour: Wednesday

I’m always in the process of trying to figure out what I think and feel, struggling to express myself in conversation. People who know me, then read the work, are astonished. It’s just beyond belief. As a young man, going to literary dinner parties, I felt very inarticulate, poorly educated, ill equipped to deal with where I was. Writing a novel is suddenly like having ten chances to contend with that dinner party. Writing is a process of evaluating oneself; it’s like building a stepladder or staircase to yourself. You end up with someone who’s more eloquent, more intelligent than yourself, and certainly knows more. After I had started to be published, I knew something had changed when people started waiting for me to finish my sentences.
-- Peter Carey

Have a great Wednesday!

No comments: