Saturday, August 02, 2008

Things We Say: A Saturday Poem


Things We Say


No two snowflakes are the same.
But how do we test for this?
Imagine how many there have been.
Has someone caught them all?

Perhaps one, clinging to the window
Melts, just as its soulmate arrives.
Or another, landing on fall’s last leaf
Shivers beside its twin, unseen.

Who knows? Yet we do say it.
No two have ever fallen,
Alike. Unique, we are told.
And so we repeat, and trust.

No two snowflakes are the same.
I am in love with you.

© Ciprianowords Inc. 2008

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant.
The ending - so fast, so final - so beautifully and powerfully stated.

Anonymous said...

So, so jealous, by the way. I arrived at the beach today and meant to bring Middlemarch with me, and of course I forgot it when I was packing a million other books. It turned out Middlemarch was exactly what I was in the mood for when I finished my last book, so I'm sucking it up and taking on Anna Karenina instead!

Cipriano said...

Thank you, anonymous.
Jordan.... ahh... Anna Karenina is an amazing book.
But yes, after Anna, read Eliot. It's a great book.