Sunday, September 14, 2008

Currently Reading

I am currently enmeshed in two books.
One fiction.
One… not.
John Irving’s A Son of The Circus is proving to be a real enjoyable page-turner, but that is not surprising. I think he is far and away one of the best storytellers ever!
It’s a big novel, and I am no
t yet even a third of the way through. It involves so many intriguing characters, is so [wonderfully] digressive, and witty and sarcastic and all things Irvingish©…. ahh! It already re-confirms my desire to read every single one of his many novels. Here is a line I really enjoyed, in reference to the main character in the novel:
Except when eating, Farrokh embraced procrastination as one greets an unexpected virtue.
Wow! That is all about me!

Secondly, [simultaneously] I am reading a very interesting book entitled With or Without God: Why The Way We Live Is More Important Than What We Believe, by Gretta Vosper.
Vosper is pastor of West Hill United Church in Toronto. She is the founder and chair of the Canadian Centre for Progressive Christianity, an organization that provides resources and support for those [like me] exploring the boundaries of Christian thought, both within and [like me] outside of the church. She believes that the church, as we have built it and known it, has outlived its viability. I could not agree more wholeheartedly with this one thing she says, on page 29:
It is crucial that we peel away the interventionist deity concept from our belief systems and face reality. We are the origin of blessing and curse in our world, not some otherworldly deity – not in Christianity, not in Judaism, not in Hinduism, not in Islam, not anywhere.

Drop me a line, and tell me if you like to focus on one book at a time, or are you a multi-tasker, like me? Two at once?
Or… are you way out there, and into threesomes?
-- Cip

**********

2 comments:

Jen Forbus said...

Hi Cip, I usually only read one physical book at a time, but then I have one on audio in my car and one on my mp3 player - so in one sense I'm a one-book woman and in another sense, I'm goin' for the threesome! ;)

Merisi said...

Oh, I used to read at least three at any one time, depending on the mood I was in. Now, I have been reading non-fiction only far too long. That does get boring, even with more than one! :-)