Friday, August 06, 2010

As Soon As Possible

It's not often that I will think of a quotation for any sustained period of time. The truth is, I actually have a very difficult time with concentration, in general. My mind wanders a lot, it really does. I happen to believe that I inherited this negative trait from my dear and beloved mother, who, among her more positive characteristics, was known to be a terrible concentrator.
Like mother, like son.
But today -- I must admit, I've been thinking about the very Splash du Jour I placed on the site this morning. It's from author John Fowles.
There comes a time in each life like a point of fulcrum. At that time you must accept yourself. It is not anymore what you will become. It is what you are and always will be.

I very much believe this to be true. And not only true, but important to act upon.
Some people, were they to observe my own life, would probably conclude that I am a person that believes I have several other lifetimes to live, after this one is done.
And in those next lifetimes I will have the opportunity to experience much of what I have missed, in this one.
Like -- being married. Having children. Managing a mortgage. Being in debt. Owning a house. Being divorced, etc.
Stuff people do.
But I have seemed to find an equilibrium, a happiness even, with very little.
Comparatively speaking, many would say that I have not really lived.
Yet, I myself do not feel in conflict. Nor am I depressed, or in angst.
Here's the kicker --> For many years I have felt that it was improper to be "OK" about this.
I'm 46 years old. At what point ought a person to come to terms with the fact that WHO THEY ARE is…. OK?
My answer would be --> AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
For me, the answer is TODAY.
RIGHT NOW.
And so it is that the quote from John Fowles today has really spoken to me, the very person that posted it -- for us all.

*******

7 comments:

D.B. said...

Amen brother. This is the gift of age.........being good with who you are!

Isabella K said...

Yes!

Anonymous said...

Good...but that sounds like about 3 beers in...am I close?

Cipriano said...

Dana & Isabella -- it really is good to accept oneself... for better or worse. To be married to an understanding of self-wellness. It fortifies one for the moments when others disagree with your assessment.

Anonymous -- I think it was 4 beers, at the time. [Do I have some kind of hidden webcam in my apartment?....]

rhapsodyinbooks said...

And I'm betting they weren't exactly the Starbucks of beers either!

Melwyk said...

I think that the wisdom of this post reveals that your years have been well used and you have lived a lot more than some others who've done all those 'other things' you talk about.

Cipriano said...

Rhapsody:
Nope....... cheapo beers. Old Milwaukee.
The best CHEAP beer, money can buy!

Melwyk:
Thank you!