Thursday, February 24, 2011

Looking Behind: A Poem










Looking Behind

I

Especially on quiet, satiated evenings it will happen.
Walking down the street I will suddenly stop
And turn toward a sense of myself approaching me.
Not of being followed or stalked, but quite the opposite.
The impossibility of pursuit. As though I alone exist
And my steady apparition.

II

Some say this is evidence of a deep disconnect.
Others, of over-connection. Various studies conclude
I exhibit the first sign of lunacy. Bollocks to them all!
Researchers will never understand until they do it.
The looking behind thing.
But they won’t.

III

For the record, my premonition has never proven false.
Believe me, I am quite wary of acquiring
An obsession with emptiness.
Just know that if you laugh I may join you,
Smiling. For I am never looking behind
Seeing nothing.

-- © Ciprianowords, Inc. 2008 --

3 comments:

May said...

What a beautiful and touching poem!

Cipriano said...

Thank you, May.
It is always a vulnerable moment for me when someone reads a poem I have written. Your words are so kind.

Priori said...

I quite enjoyed that.