Thursday, November 17, 2011

Beautiful Music

I'm afraid my blogging glut is still in effect. I've been doing some terrific reading, having "discovered" the missing link in my reading life. John Updike.
His novel
In The Beauty of the Lilies is seared into my brain as one of the most wonderful things I have read in a long time. And now I am halfway through Gertrude and Claudius -- totally different genre, but same author. Here he is giving us sort of a prelude to the events of Shakespeare's Hamlet. It is AMAZING! It helps that Hamlet is one of my favourite stories ever!
And speaking of favourite things, I want to share with you perhaps my favourite piece of music of all time. The Largo section of Dvorak's
New World Symphony.
I always imagine this being played at my own funeral. I actually want to write this into my will or whatever. To me, it is for sure the most moving way that I would be able, in my final act before being actually interred, to express to everyone how sad it is that I am now totally dead.
My love of Dvorak is not just something I am coming up with here tonight out of the blue. Several years ago I even wrote a poem about how much I love his stuff.


2 comments:

Beth said...

“...in my final act before being actually interred, to express to everyone how sad it is that I am now totally dead.”
Always have to have the last word... (You crack me up.)

It is a beautiful and moving piece but at 11:58, you’ll either have to make sure it’s shortened for your funeral (before your demise) or the crowd will get antsy.

Cipriano said...

Hah!
You are so right Beth, I will have to scale that thing down and include only the most agonizingly saddest parts....