Saturday, December 08, 2012

Life of Pi: A Saturday Snapshot

As of tonight, when guests enter my apartment [which, admittedly, is a bit of a rarity] the first thing they will see is a Modigliani print facing them. Then they will kick off their shoes as I hand them a beer or two and turn around and be accosted by Richard Parker, the tiger in the movie, Life of Pi.
I went to see this movie two weekends ago, and then went AGAIN a few nights later, to see it again. [Another rarity: Me going to a movie in the theatre twice!]
Of course, I read the novel, years ago, as you did also.
And I even met the author, Yann Martel, as you may or may not have done, also.
The book was, and still is, a gem.
But I was not prepared for how much I would love the movie!
It is no exaggeration to say that it is probably the best movie I have ever seen -- for not only its wonderful production, but also its personal relevance and meaningfulness to me during a very formative and trying time in my own journey through "life".
I highly recommend both the book and the movie to you, whichever comes first! Or second!
A dear friend sent me a link to a place where I could order the official movie poster for Life of Pi, and then I had the poster laminated at COSTCO.
[Is there anything that COSTCO cannot do?]
So, just moments ago, I took down my Picasso print to make way for Richard Parker.  

A tiger I shall not soon forget!

Thank you Alyce, for hosting this terrific Saturday Snapshot meme @ At Home With Books.
*****

20 comments:

Melwyk said...

Love it! I am looking forward to seeing the film, as I've only heard raves about it. If you went to see it twice, it has become a must see.

Brona said...

I enjoyed reading about your passionate response to both book and movie :-)

Fran@Broken Cookies Don't Count said...

That is a book I've never read. My 2013 book challenge is to read a lot of the classics and books I "should have read." I was thinking of putting this on the list anyway. Now it goes on for sure!

Merisi said...

Can't wait to see the movie!

As you know (I am pretty sure of that), I read the novel when it first came out and met the author before he become really famous. Nicest guy around, really, and I wish him a life filled with whatever he wishes for. And if I had a wish, I'd simply say to him: Please never writing!

Thanks, Cipriano,
a wonderful weekend to you,
Merisi

Merisi said...

P.S.:
I wanted to say Please NEVER stop writing!
Of course. I apologise. xxx

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

everyone is raving about the 3-D version. Must see it.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I must see that movie! Thanks for sharing your thoughts...and I love the poster (as well as the print it is replacing for the moment).

Here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

Arti said...

How wonderful to see a Life of Pi poster for Sat. Snapshot! I'm totally with you in your rave about the book and the film. I'd seen it and want to see it again. Today I've had my Sat. Snapshot, but just the previous post, I had my review of Life of Pi. Maybe you'd be interested to share your view there too. ;)

Book Savvy Babe said...

I haven't had the chance to get to a movie lately, but it's good to know that this one comes highly recommended, I may just have to go now :) Book Savvy Babe

Leslie (Under My Apple Tree) said...

This is one of those books I meant to read and never got around to it. I'll probably see the movie before I do read it... hope doing that first doesn't ruin the book for me.

Alyce said...

I loved the book, but it was so heartbreaking and magical that I haven't wanted to revisit the story in movie form.

Joy Weese Moll said...

Cool! I'd love to visit your place for a beer and artwork!

Louise said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed the movie so much. I read the book a number of years ago, and had varying reactions. Bored by the first bit, then completely compelled by the midlle to latter bits, then I was absolutely enraged by the last 10 pages or so. I'm still looking forward to the movie. It doesn't make it to Australia until the new year.

Cipriano said...

Thank you for all your lovely comments, friends. I plan to visit your blogs to see your pictures after my Christmas work party tonight.
Well, on second thought, maybe tomorrow, when I'm more sober!
Cheers!

bermudaonion said...

Wow, I wasn't crazy about the book so hadn't planned to see the movie. You've made me rethink that.

Cheryl @ Tales of the Marvelous said...

I've been hearing a lot about this movie--the poster is beautiful!

Rebecca H. said...

I'm very glad you liked the movie so much! I liked the book and will see the movie one of these days. I'm glad to have something so good to look forward to.

Nikki Steele said...

The movie was just absolutely gorgeous--I couldn't believe it. I think my breath caught when they redid the book cover scene. Wow.

Sim Carter said...

I don't know how I missed this! I'm so curious to know what you thought of the rather older boy who played Pi???

Sim Carter said...

Finally saw Life of Pi the other day. What a beautiful, beautiful movie! Still very mystifying of course.