Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Splash du Jour: Wednesday

Literature -- which is art married to thought, and realization untainted by reality -- seems to me the end towards which all human effort would have to strive, if it were fully human and not just a welling up of our animal self. To express something is to conserve its virtue and take away its terror. Fields are greener in their description than in their actual greenness. Flowers, if described with phrases that define them in the air of the imagination will have colours with a durability not found in cellular life.
-- Fernando Pessoa, The Book of Disquiet --




Have a great Wednesday!
*****

2 comments:

Isabella K said...

Are you actually reading this? Or just quoting from it? I have every intention of reading it finally this year, and if I knew someone else were reading it, I might read it sooner.

Cipriano said...

Isabella -- this is one of those bedside books that I dabble in from time to time rather than read it straight through. Profound meditations on all aspects of life and literature. It was a gift to me from a dear friend. I feel it should be slowly read as a sort of [what the Bible people call] "devotional".
Christians! Making nouns out of adjectives since 0 A.D.!