Sunday, April 21, 2013

QUIT TEXTING -- And Just Read This!

I've just begun reading a fascinating book called Alone Together: Why We Expect More From Technology and Less From Each Other. The author is MIT Professor of the Social Studies of Science, Sherry Turkle. She has been researching and writing about the effects of the computer and the advances in electronic communication over the past 30 years -- and this most recent book is about the way in which things like texting are changing our lives and relationships.
Along with the reading of the book I've been listening to her lectures on Youtube and found the following, from a recent TED Talk -- quite insightful. Turkle was discussing how even phone calls and email are becoming a thing of the past -- seeming out-dated, or requiring too much involvement. The preference for texting is taking over and society in general has moved from the idea of "I'm having a feeling. I want to make a call." to --> "I want to have a feeling. I need to send a text." I think that is extremely profound, and disturbing -- trend-wise. The entire topic is of great interest to me [a person who does not even have a cell phone, and NEVER texts anyone]! I found an absolutely hilarious clip on YouTube -- in which even Adolf Hitler is aware of Turkle's work! Enjoy!




1 comment:

Alyce said...

It seems like every day or two I ponder something to do with the way technology has changed our lives. Things are just so different from when I was growing up, and that's not that long ago.

I finally gave in to texting about two years ago, but even then didn't really text more than once or twice a month until our big move across the country. Very interesting quote about the motivations for communicating. I find that I have different motives for texting different people (like not wanting a three hour conversation with someone who never stops talking, etc.). Things have just changed so very quickly.

It doesn't help my perception of the speed of that change that our family lived with my grandparents for years, and they had a rotary phone until the phone company made them use something else, and they had a party line until no one else in the region was left on the party line. I still have nightmares about trying to dial someone on the rotary phone in an emergency and having to start over and over.