Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Decisions! Decisions!

Soon I will be leaving on a work-related trip to Atlanta, Georgia.
I've never been on either thing.
A "work-related" trip OR "Atlanta."
So I'm really excited about this. I'm wondering what book I should bring along with me -- do you ever agonize over a similar sort of thing? Some of you prolific readers would be bringing books... plural, but I am more realistic [and slow] -- just one book will be enough, I'm sure. I will be constantly busy throughout the days.
But which book for evenings and airtime? That is the question.
I've gone on trips before and taken what amounted to being the wrong book -- and I find it incredibly disappointing. All that airport time. All that quiet evening time. And there you are, sitting around trying to enjoy the wrong book.
Two instances come to mind. Once, on a trip to B.C. I made the mistake of bringing along Henry James's What Maisie Knew. It felt like being forced to read a car maintenance manual when you could be reading Jose Saramago! I just could not at all understand that book, I'm sorry, all you James devotees!
Another time I was in Mexico and made the error of entrusting my vacation to Stendhal's The Red and the Black. Big mistake. It's just the wrong book for out there on the beach and all. And yet I read the whole thing -- unlike Maisie, which I gave up on altogether.
So here I am, wondering what to take to Atlanta. Something appropriately enthralling.
And by the way, if any of you out there know of any sights I should take in, places I should go in Atlanta in case my book selection proves faulty again -- let me know.

*****

4 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

You can always pick up a different book at the airport:) enjoy your trip.

Cipriano said...

This is a good point, Diane. Thing is, I'm too cheap. Usually, the books I read are either used ones I picked up at a booksale, or gifts.

Eva said...

I see your predicament.
I think that "The Garden of Evening Mists" by Tan Twang Eng and "Jamrach's Menagerie" by Carol Birch are both worth reading.
Other than that I'm the happy owner of a Kindle, so now I can have several bookshelfes with me without adding much weight to my luggage.
No ideas for Atlanta, I've never been there. :-)

Stefanie said...

For a work trip you need something sufficiently plot-driven but also smart. I took Donna Tart's Secret History on a work trip once and it worked out excellent. So let's see. Have you read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil? It's creative nonfiction but quite a read and since you are going to Georgia. Oh, Into the Woods by Tana French would be good I bet. Wodehouse might also be a good choice. I've taken him on a trip to visit my parents once and he was great leavening to the stresses of spending too much time with family. Good luck!