Sunday, March 22, 2015

My Favorite [Living] Author

T. Coraghessan Boyle, in repose.
I just finished such a great book, The Road To Wellville, by T.C. Boyle. And I loved it so much I had to immediately pick up another one by him and dig right into it. It's called Talk Talk, and deals with the phenomenon of identity theft. And the same thing is happening -- I CANNOT put the thing down!
I've read several others by this guy and seriously, he is just dynamite.
The Road To Wellville was about Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, the inventor of corn flakes. Often Boyle will take a real historical person and create a barnburner of a novel about their life. God he is good.
He is everything I love about good writing. Clarity, substance, humor, suspense, pitch-perfect characters that you can believe in. Great dialogue. Witty, inventive.
I can't wait to get my hands on his newest novel, as yet unreleased. It's titled The Harder They Come. From what I understand, it deals with the current fad of amateur sniperism. Whatever topic Boyle handles, he always just nails it.
I mean… even with corn flakes. How can anyone make that interesting?
Boyle knows how.
Check out his awesome website -- HERE.

*****

3 comments:

Sam said...

I've been aware of this guy for a few years but for some reason have never read him. Sounds like I need to fix that. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I like: J.M.COETZEE
DON DELILLO
T.PYNCHON
JOAN DIDION
ALICE MONRO
UMBERTO ECO
MILAN KUNDERA
PATRICK MODIANO and many more....
I turn to each one of them for different reasons,but one major one who is to learn their truth..
Cinema direct pioneer ALBERT MAYSLES used to say that he places his fate and faith in reality."The closer I adhere to reality the more honest and authentic my tales. After all,the knowledge of the real world is exactly what we need to understand and therefore posibly to love one another.It's my way of making the world a BETTER PLACE."What a wise man!!
I like Boyle's attitude and variety of themes;I will start with "Riven Rock" and see what happens...

Anonymous said...

I think you should put try to read some time NIKOS KAZANTZAKIS.
There is a connection between KAZANTZAKIS,SARAMAGO,COETZEE and MARTEL.
Saramago and Coetzee won the Nobel,whereas Kazantzakis lost the prize by one vote to ALBERT CAMUS. His English editions are published by FABER.