Wednesday, June 23, 2010

All Shook Up!

Well.
At work today, there was a whole lotta shakin' goin' on!
At about 1:41 p.m., [give or take a few seconds of me freaking out] -- umm, the room started to shake.
I was working on the second floor of a massive building, with a floor above us… a floor that weighs about 8 million tons because of what is in there, on that floor.
There was myself and two women in the room.
I was the first to scream. In fact, my exact words were, "What the hell is that?"
But I said it in scream-language.
The whole BUILDING was moving -- it is difficult to describe -- but it doesn't take long for a human being to know that something of real seismic proportion is going on.
And you should not be in a building at that time.
Every man for himself! So...
I pushed my co-workers out of the way and ran down the hall and down the stairs and out the door…. where several other employees were already congregated.
SCARY!
It was a FOR-REAL earthquake thing.
This isn't supposed to happen here where I live. Firmly placed on the ol' Canadian Shield as I am. Seriously, I guess I will just have to wait for Pat Robertson to explain why this thing happened!
Apparently it measured 5.0 on the Richter Thingie, and the epicenter was not very far away from where I was.
You can read more about it --> HERE.
The last time I felt the earth move [so to say]… well, it was a long time ago!

*******

6 comments:

Study Window said...

Everyone thinks of the UK as an earthquake free zone - not a bit of it. I live on one of our major faults and we have small tremors about once every couple of months and something bigger round about once a decade. 5.0 is real fun! The last one was in the middle of the night. It would make a great alarm clock if only you could dictate when it was going to happen. I'm glad you're safe.

Stefanie said...

I am glad there was no damage, but as someone who grew up in southern California where earthquakes are not infrequent and we were regulary warned about "the big one" being always imminent and where we had regular earthquake drills in school, your reaction to the temblor cracked me up. :)

Jeane said...

Earthquakes scare me silly, even though I grew up where there are quite a few (washington state and california)But I'm glad it sounds like no one got hurt. Just a few cracked sidewalks?

May said...

Glad to know that you're safe and sound!

Michele said...

Glad you're okay....but let me know what Pat Robertson has to say, lol.

Isabella K said...

Glad you're safe, Cip! I felt it here (in Mtl); the internet's amazing that way tho' — it only took a few minutes to figure out what was going on.

Early Thursday morning I drove right through the epicentre en route to fishing spot. Villages were relatively unscathed apart from chimneys here and there.

Were you in Ottawa for the quake of '88?